Apply to be a Mentor or Protégé for the 2017-2018 class!
Kansas City SMPS is currently seeking Mentors and Protégés to kick off the 2017-2018 program. This program supports the growth and development of our chapter members by offering the opportunity to meet with industry veterans.
Mentors gain the opportunity to practice and improve coaching skills by helping the next generation of marketers and business developers grow. Mentors are asked to meet with protégés every 6-8 weeks and attend program meetings.
Protégés will have the opportunity to build their network while gaining a better understanding of how to define their career path and identifying opportunities for development. Protégés are expected to come to meeting with mentors prepared with discussion topics and attend all program meetings.
The program matches senior members (in general, those with 5+ years of experience) with junior members from non-competing firms based on individual interests. The mentoring committee works to develop pairs or groups based on the interest and desires for growth of the protégé. A kick-off meeting is held with all members of the program. At this meeting, tentative schedules, roles and responsibilities, and suggestions for discussion topics or the program.
The objective of the program is for mentors to provide individual professional guidance and support to the protégé to facilitate their growth and development in marketing and business development in the A/E/C industry. In terms of measurable objectives, the program seeks to help the protégé with:
– Focus on personal career growth, leadership and aspirations
– Commitment of face-to-face monthly meetings (12-month duration)
– Development of connections among smaller group of leaders in diverse roles
– Development of marketing and business development skills for A/E/C professionals
- October 13, 2017 – Applications due
- October 24 2017 – Selected protégés and mentors are contacted
- November 8, 2017 – Kick off meeting
- December 2017 – August 2018 – Pairs schedule one-on-one or group meetings
- January, March, June 2018 – Group events (minimum of 1-2 month notice will be given to all group events)
- September 2017 – Finally, group discussion of lessons learned and how to maintain mentor relationships.