2014-2015 Board of Directors
Call for Nominations
Monday, June 2, 2014
Nominations are currently being accepted for the 2014-2015 term, which commences on September 1, 2014 and concludes on August 31, 2015. Currently both the Education and the Programs Committee have an opening for a Chair position, along with a Co-Chair position for the Communications Committee. In addition, we are looking for someone to fill a few new Committees’ Chair positions: Chair of the Striving for Excellence award submittal and Chair of the Annual Principals Round-Table event. Members in good standing may be nominated for any of the positions that are currently available.
The positions are elected for a one (1) year term with a maximum of two (2) terms in each position. The Treasurer is elected to a two (2) year term with a maximum of two (2) terms in each position. The President-Elect serves in that office for one (1) year and then automatically assumes the office of the President in the subsequent year. At the end of that term, each President remains on the Board for another year as immediate Past President.
Nominations for any of the elected positions may be self-proposed or by petition, and must include all data as outlined in the attached Nomination Form. The closing date for submissions is Monday, July 7, 2014. The Nominations and Elections Committee will evaluate all nominations in accordance with the parameters and procedures outlined in the chapter’s by-laws. The Committee will then identify a qualified slate of candidates for approvals as required.
Refer to the attached Nomination Form for details on the nomination process, Board responsibilities and eligibility requirements. Please also note that additional volunteer opportunities are available and some Board appointments do not require a vote by the membership. For questions regarding volunteer opportunities or the nomination process, please contact me directly at (816) 729-0765 or email@example.com.
Robin Broder, CPSM
2013-2014 SMPS Kansas City Chapter Vice President
2014-2015 SMPS Kansas City Chapter President
Chair, Nominations & Elections Committee
NOMINATION FORM AND SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION
In order for your nomination to be valid, you must provide all information as outlined below. You may make nominations for more than one position, but each nomination must be submitted separately.
The deadline for submission of all nominations is 5:00 PM on Monday, July 7, 2014. Submit nominations by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include SMPS Kansas City Nominations as your subject header.
Please indicate the position for which you are making this nomination:
- Director-at-Large: Education Committee
- Director-at-Large: Programs Committee
- Co-Chair: Communications Committee
- Director-at-Large: Striving for Excellence Award Submittal
- Director-at-Large: Principals Round-Table Event
Nominee Contact Information
Name & Title
Eligibility and Qualifications
Please prepare and attach to this form a typewritten response to the following:
1. In what year did the nominee become a member of SMPS? This includes membership in any SMPS chapter.
2. Has the nominee ever been an officer of an SMPS Board of Directors? This includes participation on the Board for any SMPS chapter. If so, please indicate what position, dates of participation and chapter name.
3. Has the nominee ever served on an SMPS committee? This includes participation on committees for any SMPS chapter. If so, please indicate what committee, dates of participation and chapter name.
4. How many years of experience in the A/E/C industry does the nominee possess?
5. Has the nominee participated on a Board of Directors or committee for another professional organization? If so, please indicate what organization, capacity served and dates of participation. Please provide a brief overview of that role.
6. Personal Statement – In 50 words or less, please describe why the nominee would be a good candidate for the position. Include details regarding their current level of participation as a member of SMPS, as well as their views on current chapter issues and special areas of interest.
Nomination Form – Supplemental Information
A. Roles and Responsibilities
All Board members must participate in monthly Board meetings and meet the minimum participation requirement as set forth in chapter by-laws. Additionally, Directors and Chairs are expected to conduct monthly meetings with their committees as necessary to successfully meet their respective goals.
1. Director-at-Large / Education Committee
The Education Director is responsible for planning and organizing chapter education seminars to meet the CEU requirements for SMPS CPSMs from the six domains of practice. This includes recommending relevant topics, contacting and procuring appropriate speakers, identifying program goals and most effective format and coordinating necessary details with accommodations, sponsorship, and communications committees. The Education Director also solicits feedback and prepares seminar evaluation summaries, which are used at the end of the term to assist the President in preparing the Annual Education Report for the National office.
2. Director-at-Large / Programs Committee
The Programs Director works with the Educations Director on planning and organizing chapter events including socials, job site tours, and other events. This includes recommending relevant topics, contacting and procuring appropriate speakers, identifying program goals and most effective format and coordinating necessary details with accommodations, sponsorship, and communications committees. The Programs Director also solicits feedback and prepares seminar evaluation summaries, which are used at the end of the term to assist the President in preparing the Annual Education/Programs Report for the National office.
3. Co-Chair / Communications Committee
The Communications Co-Chair works with the Communications Chair to assist the chapter with aprogram of communications and public relations (PR). In its most basic form, communication brings SMPS Kansas City’s message to the attention of an audience. A solid communications program builds a more effective organization. This person will be the spokesperson for the chapter and may speak on behalf of the chapter. This person will need to keep abreast of ongoing chapter activities and the chapter’s mission. The Communications Co-Chair will be responsible, with the assistance of the Communications Director, for developing and disseminating both internal and external communications to include:
- Chapter website
- social media
- monthly communiqué (eblasts, etc.)
- membership surveys
- press releases to local, state, regional and national media
All Chapter communications will strictly adhere to SMPS Identity Guidelines. The Communications Co-Chair will also serve as an Industry Liaison and maintain ongoing communication with affiliated industry and business organizations, which may include:
- Exchange monthly newsletters.
- Volunteer to write guest articles for their newsletter.
- Put them on your chapter’s mailing list.
- Offer to provide speakers on topics of common interest.
4. Director-at-Large / Striving for Excellence
The Striving for Excellence Director works in collaboration with the board to prepare and submit the annual Chapter Awards Application. This person will meet with respective committee members throughout the year to ensure that the Chapter is meeting the requirements of the National submittal and continually pushing forward the standards of excellence for the Chapter.
5. Director-at-Large / Principals Round-Table Event Director-at-Large
The Principal Round-Table Event Director will plan a special event to target Principals of member firms and provide them an opportunity to work through a series of problem-solving activities for local Owners and Facility Directors. This event may be held more than once per year and will hopefully become an annual event for the Chapter. This person will work closely with the Chapter President and Board, and recruit members from the Chapter to serve on this committee.